The Philadelphia READS Jacoby Book Bank is
…a resource for educators who serve our city’s children and youth within daycare, preschool, public, private, charter, parochial, religious, and after-school classrooms.
Educators are able to get up to 350 books per school year, as well as supplemental classroom supplies.
In addition, we provide classroom visitations for local schools, service project opportunities for companies, organizations, and schools, as well vocational training for high school and college students, while exposing them to the importance of literacy and the power of “giving back.”
To learn more on how to volunteer with the Jacoby Book Bank, contact email@example.com.
We’re Chiefly Supported by
… the kind and generous donations of many individual, community, and corporate partners.
All books are donated through individual, community, and corporate book drives hosted on our behalf. In addition, the Jacoby Book Bank is member supported through annual dues of just $20. In exchange for those dues, Jacoby Book Bank Members receive up to 350 books as well as classroom supplies with a combined value of over $4,000.
Interested in Becoming a Member?
Looking for extra books and supplies for your classroom? Come to the Book Bank! We hope that you will utilize the Book Bank to help your classroom become a space where students foster their love of reading. Educator Memberships are $20 per school year and Associate Memberships are $50 per school year. We are asking interested members to come to the Book Bank to sign up for their memberships. Cash, cards and checks are accepted on location. For additional information please download this membership flyer.
Where and When
The Jacoby Book Bank is open on Monday and Wednesdays, between 2:30 – 6:00 pm (Labor Day-Memorial Day), at Martin Luther King High School, 6100 Stenton Avenue, Room T137.
* Please enter on the Haines Street side of the building, to the left of the loading dock.
* Look for Book Bank signs for additional entrance information.
* Closed following the School District of Philadelphia calendar.
Call (215) 279-7450 for more information.
Get Involved Because
… the startling reality is that many of our city’s children and youth are not reading on grade level. With limited access to books at home and inaccessibility to books at school and public libraries due to budget cuts, there are not many opportunities allotted to children and youth to escape into the literary world, use their imagination, and strengthen their literacy skills at the same time.
What do you do with facts such as these? You make a difference where you can. Why not join us in our mission of raising a city of readers by:
- Hosting a book drive! Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in hosting a book drive.
- Making a financial donation to the Jacoby Book Bank and keep our work going!
- Becoming a member by stopping by the Jacoby Book Bank on Monday or Wednesdays (2:30 – 6:00) to register.
- Reading Recycled
- West Philadelphia Action for Early Learning Initiative
- Fathers Lead, the Fathers Read 365 program
- The Read by 4 th Campaign